Are you on the hunt for a chemical-free, natural sunscreen that will work? There are so many options when it comes to natural sunscreens, but some are better than others. Let’s take a deeper look at why sunscreen is important and why mineral sunscreen is a safer choice.
WHY DO WE NEED SUNSCREEN?
Ultraviolet (UV) radiation is the biggest cause of skin cancer. Also, it is estimated that 90% of the signs of aging are caused by the sun. Therefore, sunscreen should be a part of your daily routine, not unlike brushing your teeth or eating your veggies. But you shouldn’t choose just any type of sunscreen. We suggest using a broad-spectrum mineral sunscreen that will protect against UVA (Aging rays) as well as UVB (Burning rays) rays.
Top 5 Reasons to Switch to Mineral Sunscreen
- NO SYSTEMIC ABSORPTION: Instead of chemical sunscreen try using zinc oxide, a mineral filter that sits on the surface of the skin as a barrier to bounce or reflect sun’s rays away. A non-nano zinc oxide made up of larger particles will have a lower risk of being absorbed into the skin.
- LESS IRRITATING TO SKIN: Many chemical sunscreens contain a long list of ingredients that may irritate sensitive skin. If your skin is prone to acne or eczema, then considering a mineral sunscreen may be the best option for you.
- NO HORMONAL DISRUPTION: Many generic sunscreen brands contain several chemicals that are known to be endocrine disruptors. Studies have shown that these chemicals can affect fertility, sperm count and may delay puberty. There is also evidence to suggest female exposure to oxybenzone and related chemicals have been linked to increased risk of endometriosis.
- IMMEDIATE SUN PROTECTION: Unlike chemical sunscreen that need to be applied 20-30 minutes before going in the sun, mineral sunscreen works instantaneously.
- REEF FRIENDLY: Many mineral sunscreens are free from oxybenzone and octinoxate, ingredients known to contribute to the collapse of coral reefs.