by Jill Northrup (Naturopathic Medicine graduate, not yet licensed)
Whether it’s an office party, school event, or the candy your kids picked up trick-or-treating, Halloween treats are everywhere this month, and are difficult to resist for kids and adults alike. If you’re looking for a healthier Halloween alternative to leave both you and your kids feeling more satisfied, or just for a festive fall treat, try these no bake pumpkin energy balls.
Featuring pumpkin puree, this treat is both festive and a source of vitamins and minerals. With the protein and fibre content from oats, flax, and chia seeds, you’ll actually feel full after indulging in this halloween snack. Best of all, no bake required!
- 1 1/4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseeds
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup almond or sunflower butter
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- Add oats, flaxseeds, chia seeds, spices and salt to a large bowl and mix.
- Mix in the wet ingredients until well combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Roll the mixture into balls, about one tbsp/ball.
- Refrigerate and enjoy!