Are you wondering what to do with those canned chickpeas? For a new twist on chickpeas, try this recipe! It is high in fiber and antioxidants. Enjoy!
Quinoa and Chickpea Pilaf
Yield: 4 servings
Serve this stew over brown rice or quinoa.
- 1 ½ cups quinoa
- 1 large sweet potato, unpeeled, washed and diced
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken stock, or water
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 540 mL cooked chickpeas or 1 can organic chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup green beans, steamed
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- ½ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley or 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- Rinse the quinoa to get rid of the soapy outer covering, drain and set aside.
- Place the sweet potato on a baking sheet and drizzle with grapeseed oil and sprinkle with the salt and roast in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Bring the stock to a boil in a large saucepan or stockpot, and add the quinoa and garlic. Cover and let simmer for about 15 minutes, until most of the water is absorbed and the quinoa is soft but a little “al dente”.
- Add the chickpeas, green beans, sweet potato, and sunflower seeds, and cook, stirring, until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the parsley and pepper just before serving.